Oct 25, 2014

Italy, Part 3 - the trip: Venice

I am finally back in my time zone! But let me describe our trip.

Short version: it was awesome!!!

Now for a detailed version:

We arrived in Venice on time, got our luggage and went thru passport control with no issues. Then we went outside to wait for my cousin. At this point I've decided to call him and let him know that we've arrived. Thanks to T-Mobile, I got coverage and data roaming. I've downloaded magicJack app that was supposed to work over the data, and it did! But I got a message that there were no money on the account to make international calls. That got me "little" upset, since I've put money on the account before we left. So, while we are waiting, I had to login to the magicJack site and figure out what's going on. By the time I did, my cousin has arrived! So, at least I've got my phone working!

The first surprise occurred when we arrived in our hotel. Instead of 1 room for 2 people we got 2 rooms for 1 person each! That meant 2 bathrooms! But we did not go to Italy to stay in the hotel room.

The day 1in Venice included a tour of the city. The tour was very interesting and informative. A lot of information about history of Venice.  The guide also told us how the houses were built, after all they are all in the water and have been standing there for centuries. Not a small or a quick process. The architecture is very impressive, but it's true for everywhere in Italy.

This was the first day for gelato (ice cream) and wine. We found couple of restaurants that had seatings outside and we used them pretty much every evening. I tried Italian pizza. 30+ years when were in Italy and tried pizza we did not like it at all. This time it was a different story. I liked it this time :) It's either my taste buds or 30 years ago it was a different place. I go with my taste buds that made the difference.

On the second day, we went back to the island. We found Jewish ghetto and took a tour. Since there is not a lot of land, the synagogues were built inside buildings. The first floor is usually where the stores and offices are, then there is a synagogue, then the living space.  There are 2 functional synagogues, but they only work half a year each. It's not a problem since they are both on the same plaza, just a different building.

Then we were off to look for a knitting store. Using Google maps (little advertising for Google), we found the store.  Of course we got something, we can't go to the knitting store in Venice and live empty handed :).

At some point we got lost in Venice. I have to admit I was again impressed with Google maps. It got us to the bus station via some non-touristy streets.

Pictures have been posted on Google Plus and Flicker. Let me know if you have any issues accessing pictures. They are organized into folders corresponding to the cities visited.

Nest stop: San Marino. And you thought it would be Florence :)

No comments:

Post a Comment